RRHX

Mining:  Cleveland Cliffs Furnace, south of Ishpeming, MI

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

Marquette Range

 

 

 

Mine Menu

RRHX Home

MichiganRailroads.com

 

Other Photographs:

 

Other Information:

 

 

  • Located on what was later known as Cliffs Drive, across from the Foster Lake on the west side of the lake.  That is why Foster Lake was known as Furnace Lake.  The C&NW came to the furnace area in 1867 from midway between Negaunee and Palmer.  The furnace began producing pig iron by 1874.  It was closed in 1879 and the machinery taken to the Cliffs Pioneer Furnace in Negaunee.  The railroad continued running past the Furnace and on to the Tilden Mine which was down the road a mile or two.  [EHMT]

 

Go To Top

Dale J. Berry, all rights reserved.