RRHX

Railroad:  Port Huron & Northwestern Ry.

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

 

 

 

 

Railroad Menu

 

RRHX Home

 

MichiganRailroads.com

 

----------

 

 

 

 

 

Other Photographs:

 

Other Information:

 

  • A narrow gauge (3 foot) line was built from Port Huron to Croswell by the Port Huron & Northwestern Railway, opened on May 12, 1879.  On January 17, 1881, a line was added from Zion to Yale, which reached Saginaw in 1882.  Another narrow gauge line was built as the Port Huron & Southwestern Railroad from Tappan to Almont, and purchased by its parent, the PH&NW upon completion on September 13, 1882 (the tracks from Tappan into Port Huron were completed on October 3, 1882).
  • The PH&NW was sold to the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad on April 1, 1889 and promptly converted to standard gauge, and a connection was built from Tappan to Yale in 1889.  The Zion to Yale segment was closed in 1891.  [Nick Korstange, The Waybill, August, 1998.]

Dale J. Berry and contributing photographers, all rights reserved.