Station:  Albion, Michigan

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum






Calhoun County

County Menu





Albion area selections:

Albion area Time Line:

  • 1844:  The "Central line" arrives

  • 1872:  The LS&MS Lansing branch arrives

  • 1882:  Current MC depot was built

  • 1930: Tower "A" is remoted from depot



     Albion land was first purchased by speculators in 1830 and the first settlers arrived in 1833.  Albion was named after a town in New York state.  The town was platted in 1836 and became a Village in 1855.  It was incorporated as a city in 1885. [MPN]



     The first railroad to arrive in Albion was the state-owned "Central line" in 1844, which became the Michigan Central Railroad shortly thereafter.  It was extended west to Marshall in the same year.  Albion's other railroad was the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern's line from Jonesville to Lansing.  It arrived in January, 1872 and continued north later that year.