Battle Creek was founded in 1824 when the
local stream was named Battle Creek, and the first house was built in
1832. A post office was located there in the same year.
The town was platted in 1836 and it was incorporated as a Village in
1850. It became a City in 1859.
The first railroad to arrive in Battle Creek
was the Michigan Central which arrived in 1845. It was extended
west towards Kalamazoo in 1846. In 1869, the forerunner to the
Grand Trunk Western was built
northeast towards Charlotte, and
southwest towards Chicago the following year. In 1883, the
Michigan & Ohio was built from Allegan through town to Dundee (later
called the Detroit, Toledo & Milwaukee). The last steam railroad
to arrive in Battle Creek was the Michigan Central branch to Goshen
via Sturgis which was built in 1889.