RRHX

Station:  Belsay, Michigan

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

 

 

 

 

Flint Area

Genesee County

County Menu

RRHX Home

MichiganRailroads.com

 

     Belsay Yard was the original main yard in the Flint area for the Grand Trunk Western.  It was downgraded in the late 1950's when the GM truck plant was built on Van Slyke Road.  Torrey and Fischer yards were built using rail that was relaid when the GTW single tracked their main line between Durand and Port Huron in 1957.  [CW]

This is a 2003 view of Belsay Jct., looking west on the CN (former GTW).  The track at the far left is the remnant of Belsay Yard, which began near this point and went west for about 1/2 mile (behind the camera).  The side track to the right, beyond the crossover, is the original GTW main line which went through downtown Flint.  This line, now refered to as the "Old Main", stops at North Kearsley where it ends in a junction with the CSX.  The CSX uses this "old main" line from North Kearsley to access trackage rights from Flint to Port Huron.  [Photo by Dale Berry, info from Charlie Whipp]