RRHX

Station:  Flint, Michigan

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

ENTER SITE

 

Genesee County

County Menu

RRHX Home

MichiganRailroads.com

 

 

 

     Flint was founded in 1819 as a trading post on what was then called the Flint River.  The town was first platted in 1830 and had several names in its early days.  Flint became the final name in 1836 and the city was incorporated in 1855.  [MPN]

     There are two rail lines which came to Flint.  The first was the Flint & Pere Marquette which was built from downtown Flint north to Saginaw in 1859.  The line was extended south to Holly in 1864 and later to the Detroit area.  The east-west Grand Trunk came to town in 1871 from Port Huron, and was finished west of town towards Durand in 1876.  The Pere Marquette built their belt line in 1921 to the east (which became their new main line sometime in the 1950's).  The PM continued to use their old main line for passenger trains until they were taken off in the 1940's.  [CW] The GTW also built a new main line south of town to avoid the congestion and serve new auto plants there.

     The Pere Marquette (later C&O/CSX) had exclusive rights to serve the large Buick City complex, which was located on their original main line south of McGrew Yard.  Buick City was closed in the 1990's and is being demolished.  McGrew Yard is now is mostly used for car storage.