Lansing Menu Selection:
Railroad Time Line:
1861: The Amboy, Lansing & Traverse Bay
Railroad arrives in Lansing from the north via Bath & Owosso.
1866: The Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw
builds north from Mason and Jackson.
1869: The Lansing & Ionia builds west from
Lansing to Ionia.
1869: The Peninsular Railway builds a 180
foot Howe Truss bridge in Lansing, wood construction.
1870: The Peninsular Railway builds
southwest from Lansing to Battle Creek, via Charlotte. This
later becomes the GTW.
1871: The Detroit, Howell and Lansing
arrives in Lansing from Detroit via Howell. Later becomes the
1873: The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
arrives in Lansing from Albion via Eaton Rapids. Later becomes
1877: The Grand Trunk Western completes
its cross-state line arriving in Lansing from Port Huron (via Flint
1886: The Lansing Transit Railway was
built to serve industry near downtown Lansing.
1904: The Lansing Manufacturers Railroad
was built as a belt line around north and west Lansing to serve the
was first settled in the last 1830's and the township was formed in
1841. It was named after Lansing, New York, the home of one of its
founders. In 1847, the Michigan legislature voted to locate the
state capitol in this township and to name the site "Michigan".
From 1847 to 1848, the name of the town and post office was actually
"Michigan, Michigan". In 1848, the Village was renamed Lansing and
incorporated as a city in 1859. [MPN]
1847 when Lansing became the state's capital, to the start of the Civil
War, elected officials and constituents came to Lansing by horseback,
carriage or stage. Even though railroads had been in existence
since the late 1830's, no rail line reached Lansing until the early
1860's. Then they came all at once, from seven directions, over a
period of 16 years.
entered Lansing first in 1861 when the Amboy, Lansing & Traverse Bay
arrived from Owosso via Bath. (This line, now removed, was later
the former MCRR Saginaw Branch). For five years, Detroiter's
wishing to visit the capital by rail booked passage on the Detroit &
Milwaukee (later GTW) line from Detroit's Brush Street station, and
switched onto this line at Owosso. In 1866, a second railroad
reached Lansing from the south when the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw built
north into town from Jackson. This would become the other "leg" of
the MCRR Saginaw Branch. This line gave good access from the
southern two tiers of counties where most of Michigan's population lived
at the time. Other roads arrived over the next 11 years from all
directions. The Detroit, Howell & Lansing built directly from
Detroit in 1871 making this the fastest connection for visitors from
Michigan's largest city. The last line to arrive was the through
connection of the Grand Trunk Western from Flint and Port Huron.
Ironically, this is the busiest of all rail lines remaining in Lansing