Other Lapeer information:
City of Lapeer is the county seat for Lapeer County. Lapeer was
settled in 1831 and became a city in 1869 [MPN]. The City was
the location of
the crossing of the Michigan Central's line from Detroit to Bay City,
and the Grand Trunk Western's main line from Port Huron to Flint.
These lines crossed at Lapeer Jct. The Lapeer House (see Other
Photographs), was also located at Lapeer Junction. In the early years,
the hotel served passengers of both railroads, with both food and lodging.
Grand Trunk came to Lapeer first, in December, 1871, followed by the
Detroit & Bay City in November, 1872. The latter route became
the Michigan Central and later the New York Central and Penn Central.
The MC also had a branch line to North Branch (called the Lapeer &
Northern) which was built in 1872.
Lapeer & Northern branch was removed in 1883, and the Penn Central
line was removed in 1976. The GTW line remains today as an
active main line that also has daily Amtrak service. It is now
under Canadian National ownership.