RRHX

Station:  Manitou Beach, Michigan

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

 

 

 

 

Lenawee County

County Menu

RRHX Home

MichiganRailroads.com

 

Other Photographs:

 

Other Information:

 

Above, The Cincinnati Northern depot at Manitou Beach, probably in the early 1920's.  The covered platform is gone suggesting that this phogo is after the height of the resort era.  There appears to be a sawmill in the background by the logs which are staged behind the depot.  [Mark Worrall Collection].  Below, a group of workers poses for a photograph on the siding of a large industrial building.  Manitou Beach was served by the Cincinnati Northern, which was the Big Four (CCCStL) by the time this photo was taken in 1917.

Below, an 1885 era photograph of a Cincinnati Northern train with a waiting crowd at the Manitou Beach Station 15 miles south of Jackson.  [DougLefflerColl]

     Manitou Beach was a resort community in northwest Lenawee County which was served by the Cincinnati Northern.  The beach was located on Devil's Lake (which was also served by the DT&M under that name).  The CN ran excursion trains regularly to Manitou Beach in the early days when railroads promoted vacation transportation to resorts. 

     Manitou Beach station had telegraph call letters "MB" and had a siding of 42 car lengths, which was increased to 60 car lengths in 1927.  By 1946, the sidings had been removed.