RRHX

Station:  Hallock, Michigan

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

 

 

 

 

Otsego Co. Menu

County Menu

RRHX Home

MichiganRailroads.com

 

------------

 

 

Other Photographs:

 

Other Information:

 

An old view of Hallock.  The building is reported to be the BCG&A depot, but the actual depot may be behind.

Hallock, Michigan was created around 1906 with the building of the Boyne City, Gaylord and Alpena Railroad between Boyne Falls and Gaylord.  It was located about ten miles west of Gaylord.  According to Ghost Towns of Michigan Vol. II, the town was near one of Michigan's few gold mines.  It was named after Benjamin Hallock who donated the land for the village.  The gold mines were never productive and it was suggested that the entire gold mining operation (2 shafts) was a publicity stunt by the Jackson, Lansing and Saginaw Railroad which owned the mineral rights to the property as a result of a land grant they received for building north into northern Michigan.   Bibliography.

 

Top of Page