March 8: "Ann
Arbor Car ferry No. 1" burns at Manitowoc, WI.
March 20: The Copper Range
Railroad Co. inaugurates its new sleeper and dining car service,
"The Copper Range Limited". The train pulled into
Calumet at 1:00 p.m. and departed southbound at 3:30 o'clock.
Ann Arbor RR obtains operating control of the Manistique & Lake
Superior RR. [MDOT]
May 16: Drawn by Engine No.
500, one of the best on the road, with engineer Fred Reinhardt
at the throttle, the new Northwestern passenger train arrives in
Calumet at 10:00 o'clock this morning, almost on schedule time.
Dan Vaughan of Marquette was the conductor. The train is
one of the finest that has ever pulled into the city. [CCEN]
July: A new Union Station
in Gary, Indiana is opened by the Lake Shore and the Baltimore &
hundred state troops are sent to Durand to assure order during a
railroad strike. [MDOT]
July 22: The Copper Range
railroad has installed electric fans and screen doors on their
new Limited train and the train is now practically free from
dust, according to the local newspaper. "It is the aim of
the management to make this run as free from dust as possible,
and to this end they have graed the railroad with stamp-sand.
July 26: The
Detroit River Runnel Company completes and opens its tunnel between
Detroit and Windsor.
The tunnel uses electric locomotives. [MDOT]
July 27: First passenger
train passes through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. [MT]
August 1: Chicago,
Kalamazoo & Saginaw - CK&S - line from Kalamazoo to Pavilion
was leased to the GTW. [IT-12/79/AAD]
August 8: Grand
Trunk Western completes Kalamazoo Terminal line. [IT-12/79]
August 25: Teddy Roosevelt
speaks to a crowd from the back of his private, open vestibule
car at the Main Street crossing, Elkhart, Indiana.
August: The Lake Shore
opens a new station at LaPorte, Indiana to replace the station
which had burned in 1907. [LS]
September 9: Car ferry
"Pere Marquette No. 18" sank off Sheboygan, WI with loss
of approximately 30 persons. [MDOT]
September 26: The
Manistique & Lake Superior is called the "Haywire" by the
Mining Journal, the first time that term is used in print.
26: The management of the Houghton County Traction Co. has
decided to close Electric Park for the season of 1910. The
season has been a very busy one, enormous crowds being
entertained without accident or disorder. There were nine
open air band concerts, forty-one free dances, and fifteen
private parties beside many public and private picnics.
Attendance during the season was 46,297 adults and 4,000
October 10: Detroit, Bay
City & Western Railroad opens line from Bay City to Caro.
October 13: Telephones were
put into service on the Western Division of the LS&MS (Elkhart
west) for the purpose od train dispatching. They replaced
the telegraph, which had been used since the Civil War.
October 15: First passenger
trains through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. Built by the
Detroit River Tunnel Company, controlled by the Michigan
November 26: Car ferry
"Ann Arbor No. 5" launched, the first Great Lakes ferry
with a seagate to keep out high waves. [MDOT]
December 31: Michigan
Railroad Mileage Totaled 9,021 miles. [MDOT]
Manistee & Northeastern RR completed its line to Grayling from
Kaleva, 79 miles. [MDOT/AAD]
The Saginaw-Bay City Railroad, an
electric interurban line originally names the Saginaw Valley
Traction Railway, opened a line from Bay City to Wenona Beach,
an amusement park on Saginaw Bay north of Bay City. This
line ceased operation in 1921. [NK]
Junction Station closed. [IT-12/79]
Fire destroys the 2nd and 3rd story of
the MCRR Ypsilanti Depot. It is rebuilt as a one-story
building with a tower. - [MRC-09/88]
The Detroit & Mackinac Ry.
reports that the lumber market is poor and much lumber is piled
along their road, awaiting better prices before shipping.
The report also notes that cement is bringing good prices and
the active plants at Alpena and North Bay City are busy.
There is "every prospect" that the immense limestone deposits at
Crawford's Quarry near Rogers City will be developed in the near
future. "They are stated to be the largest and purest in
the world". [DMAR-1910]
JD tower is built in LaPorte at
the crossing of the Pere Marquette and Lake Shore & Michigan
Southern. The tower was built after the Lake Shore
straightened out a curve in their main track. The tower
initials, "JD" were named after the tower's first trick operator
J. C. Dawson. [LS]
Grand Trunk builds new depot at
Columbus. Depot continues to exist as of 1974.
CK&S leases most of it's line
south of Kalamazoo (from Pavilion to Pavilion Jct.) to the Grand
Trunk Western. [NYC-2/1989]
Outer belt line of
railroads under construction in Detroit. [DWS]
Harbor Springs Railway abandons
2' 6" line between Harbor Springs and Cross Village. [MRRC]
Lewiston and Southeastern
Railroad abandons 3' gauge line, 15 miles from Lewiston
southeast in Oscoda County. [MRRC]
The Michigan Central removes a
logging branch line north of Bentley (in Gladwin County).
Congress passes the Mann-Elkins
Act of 1910 which further increased the power of the ICC.
It permitted the ICC to suspend new rates for as long as 10
months and placed the burden of proof of reasonableness of rates
upon the railroad instead of the shipper. [STOV]
The population of Houghton County
reaches 90,000. [MOD=6/1985]
Horses were used as late as 1910
by the Michigan Central Railroad on one of its logging branch
lines in the northern lower peninsula (its Mackinac Division).
Dodge Main, a large automobile
plant, is built in Hamtramck between 1910 and 1914. It is
torn down in 1980. [BOM]
COPR lays 90 lb. rail near
Painesdale, due to the heavy rock being transported. [CRH]
A reserve coal trestle was
erected by the Copper Range Railroad at Mill-Mine Jct. which can
be used to supply coal to the mines, mills or the railroad.
It holds 16,000 tons of coal. [CRH]
The Copper Range receives trackage
rights on the Milwaukee Road between McKeever and Ontonagon and
operates a daily passenger train between Calumet and Ontonagon.
They also obtain rights on the Milwaukee Road between McKeever and
Channing. On this line, they operate through freight service to
Channing and the Milwaukee Road operates a through
electric-lighted passenger train between Chicago, Milwaukee and
points in the Copper Country. [CRH]
Snapshot: The Copper Range
Railroad has 22 engines in service. Rolling stock is completely
equipped with air brakes. [CRH]
COPR purchases a modern,
electric-lighted café observation car, called the Miscowaubik,
meaning “red metal”. [CRH]