|The Detroit &
Mackinac Railway was incorporated on December 17, 1894, formed as a
reorganization of the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena Railroad. The
main line extended from Bay City to Alpena, along the shore of Lake
Huron. Branch lines from Emery Jct. (National City) to
Prescott, and Emery Jct. to Rose City also were in existence upon
start up. Other branch lines were added and removed throughout
the years of operation.
1895, the D&M purchased the Alpena & Northern Railroad, which ran
from Alpena north to La Rocque (Hawks), and then southwest to
Valentine Lake (just north of Altanta in Montmorency County).
Shortly after the purchase, the D&M pushed northwest from La Rocque
through Onaway to Cheboygan.
In March, 1976, the D&M purchased segments
of the Penn Central Railroad, from Bay City to Kawkawlin, and from
Sallings (south of Gaylord) to Mackinaw City. The portion of
the line from Kawkawlin to Sallings was purchased by the State of
Michigan and operated by the D&M.
The D&M was sold in 1995 and became the
Lake State Railway Company.
High Iron Along the Huron Shore.
Thornton, W. Neil. Tawas City, Michigan: Printer's Devil
Press, © 1982.
Michigan Railroads and Railroad Companies.
Meints, Graydon M. East Lansing, Michigan: Michigan State
University Press, © 1992.