Station: Galien, MI

MC Galien StationLocomotive Switching at GalienShell of Original Galien DepotNew Gallien DepotGalien (pronounced "Galeen") was founded in 1853 with the location of a mill. The town was incorporated as a village in 1879. [MPN] The town was located on the Michigan Central main line to Chicago, about 14 miles west of Niles.  A Michigan Central branch line from Indiana came through town enroute north to Benton Harbor and St. Joseph.

The Benton Harbor/St. Joe branc had a 2,397' passing siding here in 1911. During this period, the branch had two daily except Sunday first class passenger trains in both directions, #401, #402, #403 and #404.

Photo info/credits: Top, the Michigan Central station in Galien. 2nd photo, a steam locomotive switches a box car in front of the depot Though taken at a different time, the box car appears to be approximately where the box car is located in the top photograph. 3rd photo, the shell of the original depot after being gutted by fire. 4th photo, the "new" depot at Galien. [Alan Loftis collection]

1920 - On the Michigan Central, this is a passenger ticket and freight agency. Interline tickets are kept in stock. It is also joint with the American Railway Express Company. Station agent is Charles Hohman. On the MC St. Joseph Branch, this was also a passenger, freight and express agency. B. E. Steele is the agent. Telegraph call sign is "GO". [MCOAS]