Ann Arbor Coal Gasification Plant
Located along the Michigan Central main line, northwest of the depot. This plant was on the Huron River, west of Broadway Street. It is the current location of the Amtrak parking lot.
The Ann Arbor Gas Light Company established a franchise with the City of Ann Arbor in 1858.
The legislation was replaced in 1903. In 1913 the Washtenaw Gas Company purchased the Ann Arbor Gas Light Company and established a new franchise.
According to the Ann Arbor News, MichCon purchased the plant, built in 1900, from the Washtenaw Gas Company in 1938. The plant manufactured gas full time until natural gas became available to Ann Arbor in 1939. After that, the company used the plant to produce gas at peak demand times until the late 1950s. The most recent addition to the property was a service building in the 1960s, but it was torn down after being closed in 2009.