Mine: Youngs Mine, Caspian, MI
Began → Youngs Mine → Became
Produced: Iron Ore
Stamp Mill/Pellet Plant:
Youngs Mine.—From the Baltic mine the Vulcan formation enters the Youngs location swinging in a curving northwesterly course across the northeast corner of the NE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Section 12, T42N, R35W, entering northward, the Fogarty property of the Verona Mining company and thence swinging NE into the SW 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of Section 6, T42N, R35W. In the Youngs mine the Vulcan formation is underlain by black and gray slates and dips northeast at angles of from 45° to 65°. Through the courtesy of the management a section is reproduced in figure 5. In this section the main or south ore body lies on a foot wall of black slate which grades downward into gray slates, the probable equivalents of the sericitic schists exposed in outcrop a short distance NW of the shaft, extending thence NW to the Iron River. The south ore body grades irregularly upward into ferruginous chert and lean ore which is overlain by a thick bed of slates carrying thin iron formation layers locally altered to ore. These rocks are succeeded by a second or north ore body, some 40 to 60 feet thick, with black slate foot and hanging walls. This ore body dips northeast into the workings of the Fogarty mine. Thus in the Youngs mine the Vulcan formation occurs in two separate main lenses, the southern or lower having a thickness of about 140 to 150 feet, the northern or higher a thickness of 40 to 50 feet, the two being separated by about 150 to 175 feet of slate interbedded with layers of the Vulcan. [IRI]
Fire at the Youngs Mine: Early in 1911 fire started in the pyritic and carbonaceous black-slate footwall, just below the third level, of the Youngs mine, near Palatka, Mich. There had been a squeeze affecting a comparatively large area of the footwall, and a quantity of the rock had broken out and collected in a pile. The place was wet and some timber was mixed with the rock. At a time when no one was working in that part of the mine fumes were seen issuing from this pile of rock. The fire was supposedly of spontaneous origin. The sulphurous fumes soon filled the workings of the second and third levels, and it was decided to seal the fire by the use of bulkheads. After a great deal of difficulty this was accomplished on the second level. The men could work only a few minutes at a time, as they had no protection against the fumes except steam sprays. It was not until the footwall parts of the second, third, fourth, and fifth levels had been bulk headed off that the fumes were prevented from filling the entire mine workings.
The bulkheads were removed early in January, 1913, and although the fumes hung in the workings for two or three months, constantly growing less noticeable, the fire had seemingly been extinguished.