Fort: Fort Lernoult, Detroit, MI (1779)
Built (1779) → Fort Lernoult → Became Fort Shelby in 1813 → Dismantled in 1827.
Built by: British. Ceded to the U.S. in 1796. Surrendered to British in 1812. Reclaimed by U.S. in 1813.
Military Use: Protect colonial settlements on both sides of the river. War of 1812.
Built by the British when they abandoned Fort Detroit. [Wiki]