Fort: Fort Shelby, Detroit, MI (1805)
Fort Lernoult (1779) → became Fort Shelby (1805) → Dismantled in 1827.
Built by: British. Ceded to the U.S. in 1796. Surrendered to British in 1812. Reclaimed by U.S. in 1813.
Military Use: Protect colonial settlements on both sides of the river. War of 1812.
Built by the British as Fort Lamoult when they abandoned Fort Detroit. Played a significant role in the War of 1812. Renamed Fort Shelby by the U.S. in 1805. Surrendered to British in 1912 and reclaimed by Americans in 1813.
This fort was misnamed as Fort Detroit during the war.