Fort: Fort Michilimackinac, Mackinaw City, MI (1715)
Built (1715) → Fort Michilimackinac→ Dismantled (1871)
Official Name: Fort St. Philippe de Michilimackinac
Built by: French
Military Use: French trading post and supply depot.
Built to support the French trading system in the great lakes. The French first established a presence in the Straits of Mackinac in 1871 when Father Marquette established a Mission at St. Ignace. In 1683 they augmented the mission with Fort de Baude. This fort was relinquished to the British in 1761. In 1781 they built a new fort on Mackinac Island (Fort Mackinac). Some buildings were moved to the new fort, including St. Anne's church.
Today, the fort has been rebuilt as a historic landmark.