Railroad: The Au Sable and Northwestern Railway Company
Potts Logging Ry. → Au Sable and Northwestern Ry. → Detroit & Mackinac Ry.
Built: 1884 (Potts)
Purchased: By the AS&NW in 1891.
Leased to: Detroit & Mackinac Ry. in 1912 and sold to them in 1914.
In 1887, the Potts Logging Railway purchased the narrow gauge 3' railroad operations from John E. Potts and the Potts Salt and Lumber Company in Montmorency and Oscoda counties. [MRRC] reports the lines being on the north bank of the AuSableRiver in Section 15, T26N R4E going to the north line of Oscoda County. Also, from the same location to Damon, with branches. The original Potts line is described as 14 miles from McKinley (also known as Potts) southwesterly.
In 1891, the Potts' railroads were purchased by the Au Sable & Northwestern Railway who continued to operate them as a 3' narrow gauge railroad. There were 54 miles of railroad when purchased, from AuSable to Comins along with branch lines.
In 1912, these lines were leased to the Detroit & Mackinac Ry., which purchased the AS&NW operation in 1914. What remained of the line at that time was converted to standard gauge.