Railroad: Alger, Smith and Company
Built → Alger, Smith & Company → Tawas & Bay County RR
Became: Tawas & Bay County Railroad in 1886.
The Alger, Smith and Company, a logging company, built this line west 25 miles from Black River on Lake Huron in Alcona County. The railroad was used predominantely to bring logs to Lake Huron saw mills and to transport goods to logging camps in Alcona County. It was a 3'6" narrow gauge railroad.
In 1886, ownership of the line was conveyed to the Tawas & Bay County Railroad company which was owned at the time by the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena Railroad (forrunner of the Detroit & Mackinac Ry.)
According to [MRRC] the Alger Smith & Company also owned the Manistique Railway in the upper peninsula for a time.