Print

Railroad: Central line (State of Michigan)


BuiltCentral lineMichigan Central

Built: 1838

Became: Michigan Central in 1846

Reference: [MRRC]


In 1838, the Central line, owned by the State of Michigan, began construction west from downtown Detroit and made it as far as Ypsilanti by the end of the year. This line never prospered and was eventually sold to the newly formed Michigan Central railroad, made up mostly of Boston investors.

The purpose of this line was to open communications with rural areas west of Detroit, transporting passengers and freight from the port of Detroit.