Railroad: Copper Range Railroad Company
Built → Copper Range RR → Abandoned
Built: 1899 from Houghton to Winona and in 1903 to McKeever.
Became: Abandoned in 1973.
Mining Railway Being Removed. The rails of the Copper Range branch line between Mill Mine Junction and Freda, a milling town are being removed. Freda once was the location of the Champion Copper Mill, which crushed all Champion Mine rock for more than half a century. The Copper Range Railroad is a subsidiary of the Copper Range Co., which owns the White Pine Mines in Ontonogan County. [Escanaba Daily News, September 4, 1971]