Railroad: Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad Company
Bay City & Alpena → Detroit, Bay City & Alpena → Detroit & Mackinac
Reorganized: BC&A in 1883. Line from Prescott to East Tawas.
Became: D&M in 1894.
Bought the Black River Railroad in 1886. Line completed from Alger to Alplena in 1886.
April 25, 1894. The Michigan Central train dispatcher came to town [Alpena] Saturday, in a special car, having done so at the request of the superintendent of the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena railroad, his mission being to test the efficiency of carious station agents along the road in regard to the new system of moving trains, soon to go into effecy. The telephone system was used from the time the road was first built, and it is to be replaced by the telegraph; hence every station master has to be able to send and receive messages by telegraph. [AArgus]
November 9, 1894. Sold for $1,000,000. Alpena, Michigan. The Detroit, Bay City & Alpena Railroad as sold to-day (November 8) to representatives of Drexel, Morgan & Co., of New Yoark for the bondholders, for $1,000,000. The firm holds $1,750,000 worth of bonds, and could not allow any other company to outbid it.
The road will probably be extended to Bay City from a point near Tawas, and to Mackinaw; taking in Rogers City and Cheboygan, from the terminus of the Alpena & Noethern Railroad. The opinion prevails that the two roads will be consolidated as the Northern holds the right of way privileges, that are considered very valuable. In case the road is extended to Bay City, it will meet the Cincinnati, Saginaw & Mackinaw at the Kawkawlin river, five miles north of West Bay City.
The Alpena & Northern is only about fifty miles long, extending from Alpena to McPhee. [DFP]