Railroad: Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Company, The
Built → E&K → MS&NI
Became: Leased to Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana
Reference: [MRRC] and other sources.
The Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad was the first railroad built in the State of Michigan. It was a standard gauge line built from the Port Laurence (later Toledo) to Adrian in Lenawee County. When this line was built Port Laurence was in the disputed territory called the "Toledo strip" which was awarded to the State of Ohio when Michigan received its statehood in 1837.
The purpose of the E&K was to transport people and goods between Lake Erie and inland southern Michigan.
In 1838, a branch line was built from Palmyra (east of Adrian) north to Tecumseh.