Railroad: Houghton County Street Railway Company
Built → Houghton County Street Railway Company → Houghton County Traction Company
Built: 1900 - Branch lines later.
Became: Houghton County Traction Company in 1908.
The Houghton County Street Railway was an electric interurban railroad which started operation in 1900. The original line was built from Houghton across Portage Lake on a double track swing bridge to Hancock, and then northwest towards Laurium. The line ultimately had branch lines from Laurium (Lake Linden Junction) southeast to Lake Linden and Hubbell on Torch Lake, north from Laurium to Wolverine, Ahmeek and Mohawk, and a branch from Albion Station (just north of Laurium) west to Red Jacket (Calumet).
The street railway, which was later reorganized as the Houghton County Traction Company in 1908, also operated a resort called Electric Park, which was located north of Boston Mine.
For additional information about this railroad, see:
- Houghton County's Streetcars and Electric Park, by Clarence J. Monette, Greenlee Printing Co., © 2001.