Railroad: Houghton County Traction Company
Houghton County Street Railway → Houghton County Traction → Ended operation
Built: 1900 as the HCSR.
Became: Houghton County Traction in 1908.
Ended operations in 1932.
The Houghton County Traction Company was a successor to the Houghton County Street Railrway, which had been built from Houghton, via Hancock to Laurium and Calumet. The line also had branches from Lake Linden Junction (Laurium) to Lake Linden and Hubbel on Torch Lake, and from Lake Linden Junction north to Mowhawk. A short branch connected from Albion Station (just north of Laurium) to Red Jacket/Calumet.
The Traction Company also operated a resort known as Electric Park, which was located on their line north of Boston Mine.
The Traction Company discontinued operations in May, 1932.
For additional information about this railroad, see:
- Houghton County's Streetcars and Electric Park, by Clarence J. Monette, Greenlee Printing Co., © 2001.