Jackson and Lansing Railroad Company
Conrail → Norfolk Southern → Jackson & Lansing → current operation
Built: Around 1868.
History: Leased to Michigan Central in 1870. Leased to New York Central in 1930. Merged into Penn Central in 1969. Conveyed to Conrail in 1976. Purchased by Charlotte Southern in 1999.
The Jackson and Lansing Railroad Company was incorporated in 2010 and is a subsidiary of the Adrian & Blissfield Rail Road Company. The Jackson and Lansing operates on 47 leased miles of railroad which was a former Norfolk Southern branch line running from Jackson north to North Lansing. The railroad provides freight service to several industrial customers along the route. This is the former Jackson, Lansing and Saginaw Railroad Company which was built about 1868 towards Mackinaw City and became part of the Michigan Central railroad in 1871. It later became the New York Central, Penn Central and part of Conrail before being purchased by Northfolk Southern.
The Jackson and Lansing railroad is affiliated with several other shortlines in southern Michigan, including the Adrian & Blissfield Rail Road, the Charlotte and Southern railroad, the Detroit Connecting railroad, and the Lapeer Industrial railroad - all lines which were former New York Central routes.