Lapeer Industrial Railroad Company
Conrail → Lapeer Industrial → current operation
Built: Around 1872.
History: Leased to Michigan Central in 1881. Leased to New York Central in 1930. Merged into Penn Central in 1969. Conveyed to Conrail in 1976. Purchased by LI in 1999.
The Lapeer Industrial Railroad was incorporated in 1999 and is a subsidiary of the Adrian & Blissfield Rail Road Company. The Lapeer Industrial operates on a short branch line which runs from Lapeer south about two miles to a farm elevator. The railroad also switches industrial customers in downtown Lapeer. This is the former Detroit & Bay City railroad built in the 1860's which became part of the Michigan Central railroad. It later became the New York Central, Penn Central and part of Conrail.
The Lapeer Industrial railroad is affiliated with several other shortlines in southern Michigan, including the Adrian & Blissfield Rail Road, Detroit Connecting railroad, the Charlotte Southern railroad, the Jackson & Lansing railroad, and the Lapeer Industrial railroad - all lines which were former New York Central routes.