Railroad: Pennsylvania Railroad Company, The
The Pennsylvania Railroad was established in 1846 and was one of the major railroad corporations in the eastern United States. It became known as "The Standard Railroad of the World" though by its end it was rather behind the standard both operationally and financially. By 1868, the railroad controlled the Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad from Fort Wayne, Indiana into Michigan and ultimately to Mackinaw City. Around 1900, it began operating into Michigan through trackage rights and then in 1922 built its own line from Carleton to Detroit, and using Pere Marquette trackage rights between Alexis (OH) to Carleton. The railroad was also a partner in the Union Belt of Detroit, a joint terminal venture/railroad. The Pennsylvania joined Penn Central in 1968 which went bankrupt in 1970. It later became part of Conrail, and was broken up into segments into Norfolk Southern and CSX.
Various → Pennsylvania RR → Penn Central
Operated in Michigan: 100 years.
Control: 1868 - Grand Rapids & Indiana
Control: 1917 - Pennsylvania-Detroit railroad.
1925. An injunction formerly brought by the Detroit Terminal railroad was dissolved allowing the PRR to complete construction of its new line from Toledo into Detroit. [HPAL-1925-0310]
1945. The Pennsylvania begins using two-unit diesels for the "Red Arrow" in Detroit. [MRF-1945-10]