Railroad: Sault Ste. Marie Street Railway Company, The
Built → Sault Ste. Marie Street Ry. → Trans-St. Mary's Traction
Conveyed: 1901 - to Trans-St. Mary's Traction.
This street car line was opened in 1888 under the sponsorship of the Detroit Electric Co. In 1901 the line was reorganized by the Lake Superior Power Co., and known as the Trans St. Mary's Traction Company. An international company was formed to operate in Ontario and to run the ferry between the two cities.
Starting at the steam railroad's Union station, three lines were operated. One southwest on Easterday Avenue; One to the country club east along the river; and one a loop around downtown. The car barn was located near Easterday Avenue and Seymour Street. [CERA]