Railroad: Union Belt of Detroit
Detroit Union RR Depot and Station Co. → Union Belt of Detroit → Norfolk Southern | CSX
Built: 1882 opened from Delray to 18th Street, Detroit
Became: Became part of the Union Belt of Detroit in 1889.
The Union Belt of Detroit was not an independent railroad. It appears to be a joint operating agreement between the Wabash, Pere Marquette and Pennsylvania railroads. Each railroad contributed trackage to this JOA. As an example, the Wabash line from Delray to the Fort Street Union Depot was its busiest line. The Pere Marquette contributed trackage rights on its main line from Delray northwest to at lease Dearborn, and the Pennsylvania built industrial trackage from the PM (in east Dearborn) north and west to Highland Park. The PM also contributed its former main line from Oak (now Livonia) to West Detroit junction.
This FSUD served the Pennsylania, Pere Marquette (later C&O), and the Wabash railroads. The station was located at Fort Street and 3rd Street, a block from the Michigan Central's original station and the Detroit & Cleveland steamship terminal at the foot of 3rd Street.
The Union Belt also included PRR trackage from Dearborn to Highland Park, as well as the PM/C&O line from Oak Junction to West Detroit.