Railroad: Toledo, Canada Southern and Detroit Railway
When the Chicago & Canada Southern railroad (predecessor to the CASO) came to Michigan via crossing of the Detroit River at Grosse Isle, They continued to build southwest towards Chicago, getting as far as Fayette, Ohio.
The railroad also wanted to tap Detroit and Toledo markets, so they formed this road ( Toledo, Canada Southern and Detroit Railway) to do just that. At this point, the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern had already built south from Detroit (1855-56), intersecting their lines at Monroe and Toledo. The TCS&D laid rail parallel to this route (on the east side of LS&MS line) from West Detroit to Canada Southern Junction (a junction with the Wabash and Clover Leaf, crossing over the Lake Shore east-west main line on a long bridge. In 1882, the MC line entered into an operating agreement with this line. It was operated by the Vanderbilt roads independently from the Lake Shore until around 1900 when the roads began operating the West Detroit to Water Works Junction line as double track - southbound on the Lake Shore and northbound on the MC line. This road waas 47 miles long in Michigan and 11.6 miles in Toledo, Ohio. It also owned 94.5 miles of spurs and sidings. Standard gauge.
Operations Ended: 1916. Merged into the Michigan Central along with other lines.