Railroad: Wabash railroad
Detroit St. Louis & Western → Wabash Ry - Norfolk & Western
Consolidated: 1889 - Detroit, State Line & Wabash; Wabash Western; and other non-Michigan companies. Also leased the Detroit Union Railroad Depot & Station; and joint control with others of the Fort Street Union Depot.
Control: 1925 - of the Ann Arbor Railroad.
Control: 1928 - by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Leased: 1961 - to the Norfolk & Western. PRR relinquished control to the N&W in 1970.
Control: 1963 - of the Ann Arbor Railroad turned over to the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton.
The Wabash Railroad started with a construction railroad known as the Detroit, State Line & Wabash, and eventually extended from Buffalo, NY on the east, through southern Ontario, Canada, and then from Detroit to St. Louis, MO. The railroad had other important branches from Toledo to Chicago, and from Chicago southwest.
Car ferry operations transported rail cars over the Detrot river from a port near the Fort Street Union Station (on the jointly owned Union Belt of Detroit). The Wabash's main locomotive roundhouse was just east of Delray on the Union Belt, and their main freight yard in what is now known as Melvindale, west of the Rouge River.
The Wabash was merged into the Norfolk & Western Railway in 1964.