Print

Station:  Stambaugh, MI

Stambaugh was platted in 1882 after the Iron River Mine had shown sufficient promise of producing large qualtities of ore. The new village was named in honor of John Stambaugh,the president oftheTod, Stambaugh Company of Youngstown, Ohio which had recently acquired the rights to the Iron River Mine. In 1890, the town was incorporated as a village and a water system was installed. At the turn of the century, the population of Stambaugh was 695. In the early 20th century, Stambaugh had five mines. Electricity was brought in by the Menominee Range Power and Development Company. Telephone lines were installed in 1898 by Michigan Bell Telephone Company. In 1923, the town was incorporated as a City. The population peaked in 1930 at 2,400, but declined as mining declined. In 2000, the town was merged into Iron River. [Iron County Historical Society information]