Print

Station:  Jackson State Prison, MI (Southern Michigan Prison)

The original Jackson State Penetentiary was located in the City of Jackson near Cooper Street and reached by the Michigan Central's line to Saginaw and Grand Rapids. In the 1930's a "new" prison was built in Blackman Township near Parnall and M-106 about four miles northeast of downtown Jackson and accessed via the Grand Trunk Western. The MC also had trackage rights to this location and likely delivered coal to heat the facility.

The original prison was served by a 125 car yard which was used by the Michigan Central and Grand Trunk Western.