Station: Vicksburg, MI
Vicksburg was settled in southern Kalamazoo County in 1831 when a dam was built on Portage Creek to power a log grist mill. The town became a village in 1871. It was originally called Brady but changed one day later. [W]
This crossing was originally controlled by a crossing gate and smashboard. The interlocker (see model board below) was installed in the 1920's. It was controlled from the operator's bay in the station.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the union depot at Vicksburg around the turn of the century. Note the smashboard gate which protects the crossing of the railroads. [Mark Worrall collection]. 2nd, another photo of the depot. [Alan Loftis collection]. 3rd, a 1913 photograph of the depot and crossing. 4th, a 2003 photo of the union depot. [Alan Loftis]
5th-6t photos, the inside of the Vicksburg deupt in 2004. [Alan Loftis photos]. 8th photo, the model board for the crossing of the PRR and GTW lines. 2002. [Dale Berry]. 6th photo, a Conrail freight passes the depot and crossing in 1978. [Charles Greletzke Jr.]