Station: Sparta, MI
Sparta was founded in 1848 and first called Nashville. It became a village in 1883. The town was renamed Sparta Center and then Sparta in 1885. [MPN] Sparta was a crossing of the Pere Marquette line north to Baldwin and the east-west Grand Trunk Western line to Muskegon.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the TS&M depot (later GTW) at Sparta in the early 1900's. The arriving train is unloading and loadibg passengers. [Charlie Whipp collection]. 2nd photo, the same depot in 2004. [Alan Loftis]