Station: Saxon Tower, Sparta, MI
Saxon was the name of an interlocking tower in Sparta, Michigan at the crossing of the north-south Pere Marquette line and the east-west Grand Trunk Western branch west to Muskegon. The tower operator controlled passage through thi crossing.
January 17, 1930. The Michigan Public Utilities Commission approves the discontinuance of the 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. interlocking operator at Sparta. With no tower operator present, the Commission ordered the signals set to allow the north-south Pere Marquette to proceed and the interlocking to be operated by the agent at Sparta or the train crew. The tower had been staffed by the Toledo, Saginaw and Muskegon railroad (GTW). [MPSC-1930].