Print

Mine: Allouez Mine, New Allouez, MI

The Allouez Mining Company began operations here in 1869. The mine was absorbed by the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company in 1923. There were at least four shafts during the mine's history. Surface buildings included the headframe (made of wood in 1945 during the war when steel was in shortage), 40x50' hoist house with gabled roof, 100x20' rockhouse attached to the headframe, and a third building which was probably a dryhouse. [UPM]