Print

Station: Northport, MI

MMN Ferry No 1 at Northport Northport Depot Northport DepotNorthport was founded in 1852 in northern Leelanau County along Grand Traverse Bay. The town was at the north end of a branch line from Traverse City and was the home port for a railroad car ferry to Manistique in the Upper Peninsula. A saw mill was established here in 1856. The town was the county seat of Leelanau County from 1863 to 1883. It became a village in 1903. [MPN]

Photo Info/Credit: Top, the Manistique, Marquette and Northern Ferry No. 1 loads railroad cars at Northport, bound for Manistique. 2nd and 3rd photos, the former Manistee & Northeastern depot at Northport. [all, Alan Loftis collection]