Station: Hudson, MI
Hudson was settled on the very western edge of Lenawee Couty about 1833 and called Bean Creek. It was renamed Lanesville in 1836 and Hudson in 1840. The town became a village in 1853 and a city in 1893. [MPN]
The "Southern" line of the State of Michigan came through here first and was purchased by the Michigan Southern railroad, a private interest. It later became the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana, then the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, and in 1916 it became part of the New York Central system. The Lake Shore established a beautiful stone depot here with conical roofs and a tower.
The CN had a small eight track yard here and also had water and coaling facilities for its locomotives. There was also a stock handling facility on the CN with capacity for four double deck stock cars. Stock could be fed and watered here. A 4,000 bushel capacity elevator was on the CN line and owned by the Cutler-Dickinson Copany. The CN also served the Pet Milk Company, Hackett Coal Company, Hardie Manufacturing Company, Porter Lumber Company and a scrap metal site.
The Cincinnati Northern came through later with its north-south route between Ohio and Jackson. It crossed over the top of the LSMS on a small bridge (see photo). There apparently was never a physical connection between the two lines, both of which eventually fell under NYC control.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, an early view of the Lake Shore depot. 2nd photo, the LSMS depot in a postcard view. [Dale Berry collection]. 3rd photo, the same depot in anotherr view with the water tower. [Alan Loftis collection] 4th photo, the crossing of the two lines, CN below and LSMS on top. Note the CN coaling stgation and water tower in the background. [Doug Leffler collection] 5th photo, the Cincinnati Northern depot at Hudson. [Alan Loftis collection]
Hudson had two water towers, one on the Old Road and one on the CN Jackson branch. The CN also had a coaling tower here.