Interlocking: Raisin Center, MI
Raisin Center was the grade crossing of the Wabash main line (Detroit to Montpelier, OH) and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Jackson Branch (Lenawee Junction to Jackson). The crossing was located near the center of Raisin Township, between Adrian and Tecumseh in Lenawee County.
This crossing existed as early as the 1880's. At some point, it was made into an automatic interlocking, with the first train on the track circuit receiving a proceed signal.
At some point after the creation of Conrail, the Jackson Branch was sold to the Southern Michigan Railroad Society. The line was unused prior to this transaction and the Norfolk & Western pulled the diamond up at Raisin Center, seperating the society's track segment at this location. The Society was unsuccessful in having the crossing reestablished.
Photo info/credits: Two photos from 2002 at Raisin Center. The first looking nort on the former LSMS Jackson Branch towards Tecumseh. Note the southbound signal which has been restored by the Southern Michigan Railroad Society, the owner of the branch. The 2nd photo looks south towards Lenawee Junction. You can see the remanants of the northbound signal. [Dale Berry]
Location: 41o54.845'N / 83o56.702'W.