Station: Tecumseh, MI
Tecumseh was settled about 1824 and was the first county seat of Lenawee County from 1826 to 1837. The town became a village in 1837 and a city in 1953.
The town was home to three different railroads. The E&K's Tecumseh Branch came through here in the 1840's and was later absorbed by the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern and renamed the Jackson Branch for its new terminus to the north. The Detroit, Toledo & Milwaukee came through here next in the 1880's on its line from Allegan to Dundes. The third line into town was the Detroit & Lima Northern which came up from Lima, Ohio via Adrian. This line ended in Tecumseh and they used trackage rights on the DT&M to reach Dundee and points east to the Delray area of southwest Detroit.
Photo Info/Credit: The Lake Shore depot at North Yard in Tecumseh. [Kirk Hise collection, courtesy of Cynthia Givens, Southern Michigan Railroad Society]