Plant: Peninsular Portland Cement, Cement City, MI
The Peninsular Portland Cement company had a plant in northwest Lenawee County just south of Cement City. (This was in the area north of US-12 in and around Goose Lake. Plant operations were in the southwest quadrant of the north-south Cincinnati Northern and the east-west Detroit Hillsdale & Southwestern railroad. Both railroads services this facility.
This plant was founded in 1899 and mined marl from Goose Lake. This marl was processed with clay (from Milbury Ohio) to produce cement which was shipped out by railroad in barrels. Early on, the plant produced 700 barrels of cement per day. [GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF MICHIGAN LOWER PENINSULA 1900-1903 VOL. VIII PART III]