Station: Howell, MI
Howell is the county seat of Livingston County and was settled in the center of the county in 1834. It was originally named Livingston Centre and then renamed in 1836. It became a village in 1863 and a city in 1914. [MPN]
Howell was served by two railroads, the Pere Marquette main line between Detroit and Lansing, and the Ann Arbor Railroad between Toledo and Owosso.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the PM depot at Howell in 1892. This depot was built in 1872. [Charlie Whipp]. 2nd photo, a 1972 view of the C&O depot. [Charls Geletzke Jr.]. 3rd photo, the Ann Arbor railroad depot at Howell in 2003. [Alan Loftis]. 4th, the depot in 2003, still used as a community center. It was built in 1886. 5th photo, a 1972 view of the AA depot. [Charles Geletzke Jr.]
1880 improvements: The D&LN made improvements to its water tower here. [DL&N-1880]
1885 water tank. A new water tank with standpipe is installed at Howell. [DL&N-1885]
1890 improvements. The DL&N repaired its stock yard and freight house at Howell. [DL&N-1890]