Print

Station: Palms, MI (Mackinac County)

Palms was a location on the DSS&A 18.5 miles west of St. Ignace Docks. Bates and Chantler owned and operated two lime kilns at Palms adjacent a deposit oflimestone (c.1887). The namesake of Palms was Francis Palms, a Detroit lumberman who helped finance the building of the Detroit, Marquette & Mackinac Railroad. The history of Moran Township states that Palms/Pines became Kenneth. There is also speculation that the citizens of Palms slowly migrated to Kennth, about a mile up the line. [CB/MIHX8]