Station: Memphis, MI
Memphis is located in both St. Clair and Macomb County but the station was built on the Macomb County side of the boundary. The town was settled about 1834 and known as Wells' Settlement until 1848 when it was renamed. A sawmill operated here in the earliest days. The town became a village in 1865 and a city in 1953. [MPN]
Memphis was located on a Pere Marquette branch line which went from Port Huron to Almont, in Lapeer County.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the Pere Marquette depot and water tower at Memphis. [Alan Loftis collection]