Station: Epworth, MI
Epworth, in Mason County, was founded by the Epworth League of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Michigan in 1894 as a place to conduct chautauqua programs and cultural art classes. [MPN]
The resort area was located about two miles north of downtown Ludington on a short branch line which went farther north to Hamlin Lake.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, a "dummy" locomotive loads a passenger train at Epworth. The train, known as the "Dummy Train" ran between the lake at Epworth and Ludington during the tourist season. This is an early postcard view. 2nd, "dummy" engine No. 7 pulls two cars near the lake at "Epworth Heights". [Stoner collection, UMB]. Dummy engines were so named because the steam locomotive workings were covered, usually to avoid disturbing horses and other livestock.