Station: Ludington, MI (Mason County)
Ludington was settled about 1847 as a timber town along the shore of Lake Michigan in Mason County. It was incorporated as a city in 1973. [MPN]
From a railroad standpoint, Ludington was the western terminus of the Pere Marquette main line from Toledo, Ohio via Plymouth, Flint and Saginaw. The railroad has substantial car ferry operations from here to points along the Lake in Wisconsin. In addition to overhead traffic, the area was also home to a number of chemical plants which are related to underground salt deposits in the region.
Rail operations are now leased to Marquette Rail which connect here from Grand Rapids.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the C&O railroad depot at Ludington in 1976 [Charles Geletzke Jr.]. Below, CSX Ludington Yard, as viewed from a nearby road overpass in 2004. You can see the old locomotive coaling tower at the left edge of the photo near the downtown area. [Nathan Nietering]
1906 improvements: A new yard is built here by the PM, 33,152 feet of track. [PMAR-1906]
The Pere Marquette in Ludington had a 85' long, three-bearing, electrically operated turntable which was in place as of 1942.
Morton Salt Co. (xxxx ← 1947→ xxxx)
Stearns Salt & Lumber Co. (xxxx ← 1947 → xxxx)