Station: Newport, MI
Newport was settled about 1830 in northeast Monroe County. It was a sawmill location and later located along the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, Michigan Central and Detroit & Toledo Shore Line railroads which passed through here.
The D&TSL served the Lee Lumber Company and had a sugar beet loader here, as well as a reverse point crossover here. This was just south of Swan Creek. [EFI]
Photo Info/Credit: Top and 2nd photo. The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad depot at Newport. [Alan Loftis]